All I have been hearing about the last few days is “All Star Weekend” .. Big Steven is obsessed with basketball and following suit so is Little Steven! (I mean he is 2 and a half and already up to my bellybutton, 50 pounds.. wearing 5T clothes with a size 10c foot.. I think he may be in the All Star game someday haha)
So I was thinking I wanted to highlight the basketball aspect and make a fun healthy dinner tonight.. I figured basketball = meatball! 🙂
Casey’s All Star Avocado Stuffed Meatballs –
1 lb of ground beef (you can sub ground turkey or chicken is you desire)
1 large avocado, fork smashed
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of italian seasoning + additional 1/2 teaspoon
1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons of shaved carrot
1 medium yellow pepper, diced
26 oz chopped tomatoes (I used a box of Pomi brand)
3 peperoncini, sliced
2 tablespoons shredded Asiago cheese
your choice of pasta (I made this dish with Spinach brown rice spaghetti to keep it healthy)
1. Cook your pasta according to the package.
2. Meanwhile, combine the ground meat with the 1/4 teaspoon of italian seasoning, ground mustard, salt and pepper.. Mix it until blended and then divide into 6 even amounts (meatballs will be about 1 1/2 inches large). Grab a chunk and flatten in your hand. Spoon a generous amount (about a tablespoon) into the middle of your meat and close the meat around it, creating the meatball. Continue this with remaining 5 meatballs.
3. Heat your olive oil over medium high heat in a nonstick skillet or cast iron pan. Place your meatballs inside and allow them to brown on each side. Turn them every few minutes until they are evenly browned. Don’t get frustrated if they seem to stick, just let them cook a bit longer and try again.. The meat will release when it is ready to!
4. Once evenly browned, remove from pan and reserve on a plate nearby. Add the shallot and garlic to the same pan and mix until fragrant. Add the yellow peppers, carrot, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of italian seasoning and chopped tomatoes. (If there is any avocado left, you can add that in too) Stir to combine and add meatballs back to the pan. Spoon some sauce over the meatballs and cover with foil. Cook on medium for 15 minutes or until middle of your meatballs is fully cooked.
5. *Drain your pasta and put some into your plate to serve. Spoon a generous amount of sauce over your pasta and 3 delicious meatballs. Top with half of the sliced peperoncini and 1 tablespoon of shredded Asiago cheese.
This meal is designed for two, but you can always make the meatballs smaller or give each person two instead of 3 🙂
*NEVER rinse pasta. It has a natural starch to help your sauce stick to the noodle, washing it off is just blasphemy.
I wanted to take a picture of the meatballs all cut in half but the Stevens inhaled it haha I had one left so here it is.. see the yummy avocado spilling out! Delish.. 🙂
I hope you try this dish, and as always if you do I hope you let me know how it is!!