Bolognese is my goto pasta sauce.. I truly enjoy it! Can not beat a good bolognese.. However, what if we tweak it a little?! Instead of ground beef, I wanted to use Chorizo!!
Let’s spice it up 😉
Casey’s Chorizo “Bolognese” –
8oz of whole wheat fusilli pasta (or whatever pasta you love)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
14oz of chorizo, removed from casing
1 cup of small diced onion
1 cup of small diced carrot
1 cup of small diced celery
1 can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/4 cup of fresh basil chopped
1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons of parmesan (plus more for garnish)
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to the box instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of water and set aside
- Heat your oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan, brown your chorizo while breaking it down into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add into your pan the carrots, onion, celery and can of diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and cover, allow it to simmer for 5 minutes until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Uncover and stir, add your pasta to the pan and stir to coat the noodles in the sauce. If need be, add some reserved water into the pan.
- Next, add in the parsley, basil and parmesan.. salt and pepper, enjoy!
Do you hate chorizo? Use sausage removed from the casing or just do a standard ground beef.. You could even do ground chicken or turkey! However, I urge you to try the chorizo! It takes it to another level! 🙂