Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!!
First and foremost, thank you to anyone reading this who has or is currently serving in our military.. You pay the price for our freedom daily. God Bless you and your loved ones, always.
Now, If you’re like me and not going to be able to make it to the boardwalk this weekend.. Bring the boardwalk food to your own kitchen!!
One of my favorite foods at the fair (besides funnel cake and zeppole of course) are CORN DOGS!! I love love a good hot dog with all the fixins’ .. Corn dogs are just a great portable treat!
Casey’s Corn Dogs –
1 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup if corn meal
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 cup of milk
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
2. Whisk in the cup of milk and 1 egg until smooth.
3. Heat an inch of oil in a large saute pan (large enough to fit your hot dog of the stick if you can, or fry them without the stick and do that after)
4. Next I take my hot dogs and pat them dry with a paper towel, take a 9in wooden skewer and place the hot dog on the stick until it just about pops out of the other side. Place the hot dogs into the mixture and using a spoon or your hand, pull the batter on to the dog. Let it coat thickly and spin them to secure the batter and minimize any drips.
5. Place your corn dog into the hot oil, usually i fry only two at a time.. I usually place one in and let it fry as I coat the next, when I put in the second one.. I flip the first and so on until they’re all finished!
This makes enough batter for 12 hotdogs 🙂
You can even put them out on a platter with some pickles and hot pepper rings.. some shredded cabbage or sliced tomatoes.. Whatever you want!! 🙂
I hope you try this recipe, and others!
If you do please let me know what you think…
I love your feedback 🙂
& don’t forget to follow me on Social Media!
Instagram/Twitter/Pinterest – @casey2cook