In honor of it being my First month “Blogiversary” (yeah, I just made that up.. It’ll catch on) and breakfast being the First meal of the day I wanted to make a Frittata! An amazing Freaking Frittata.. Excuse my French 😉
Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, pasta or vegetables. The word frittata is Italian and it translates to “fried”!
Casey’s Fully Fabulous Frittata –
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup of onion, minced
1 cup of red pepper, diced
1 cup of sweet corn, cut off the cob or frozen
1 cup of diced granny smith apple, peeled
1 cup of shaved yukon gold potato
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a nonstick oven safe pan (I use a 10in cast iron by Martha Stewart, love!) Heat your oil over medium heat, add garlic and onions. Stir until fragrant then add the red peppers and corn.
3. Allow to cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers soften. Stir in the diced apple, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, crack your eggs into a bowl. Add in the egg whites and whisk until smooth. Add in your salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
5. Next add the shredded potato into your pan and give it a stir. Even out the food in the pan and add the egg in, make sure it covers all of the goodies in the pan! Let it cook on medium low for 6 minutes or until the sides set up. (Quick tip: before the next step, spray the top of the pan around the frittata with cooking spray, it will help to separate it more easily when it cools)
6. Carefully transfer the pan into the warmed oven. Let it bake for 10 minutes or until the center is set. Remove from the oven (be cautious, the pan will be super hot!) Allow the Frittata to cool for at least ten minutes. Remove from the pan.. it will still be hot, hold the pan with a towel or mitt! Top with some fresh chopped cilantro, Enjoy!
~You can top this with some hot sauce or ketchup if you desire, or even some cinnamon sugar! Yum.. I urge you to taste it first though, it may just be exactly what you want 🙂
This Frittata is special to me.. The ingredients I chose remind me of some of my favorite breakfast meals. The apple reminds me of my Oma and Bebop making apple crepe pancakes in the mornings when I slept over their house years ago! Also, when we stayed in their house up in the mountains I would wake up to the smell of the apple cooking in the pan! Thinking of the mountain house took me to corn.. Buying corn on the cob by the basket at the farm! So juicy and fresh! Delicious..
I wanted to balance the sweet corn so I used a granny smith apple, nice and tart. The red pepper is sweet, and the onions have a bit of a bite. All in all its a fabulous mix of sweet and tart, with lots of great texture. The potato help to hold it together and adds another layer of flavor, nothing goes better with eggs than some potato!!
Just because I posted it as a breakfast, doesn’t mean you can’t have this for lunch or even with dinner!! You can also add in other things you love.. Just follow the structure of my recipe and swap out what you want.. the possibilities are endless! Frittata is a great dish to customize!
I left this one vegetarian, but if you have some breakfast links or, regular bacon or turkey bacon… Chop them up and throw’em in!
It’s a full breakfast in one pan 🙂
Hope You Try It Out!! Let Me Know What You Think 🙂