Thanksgiving is upon us!
Take a deep breath, do not freak out! I am here to help..
With this recipe you will have them eating out of the palm of your hand, well, technically their hand! (Literally) These tarts pack all the flavor of the traditional sweet potato with marshmallow without all the over indulging and high calorie count!
Plus they are just freakin’ adorable! 😉
Casey’s Mini Sweet Potato Casserole Tarts –
2 10oz sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
1/8 teaspoon of ground clove
1 teaspoon of salt
2 packs of mini fillo tart shells
1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
30 mini marshmallows
Pre heat oven to 350.
- You can now purchase the sweet potatoes microwave ready, I would go with those and simply microwave for 7 minutes. If you can not find them for some reason, You can wrap your sweet potato in damp paper towel and microwave or peel and boil as you would with regular potatoes. Another option would be to bake them. In that case scrub the potatoes, prick them several times with a knife or fork, and bake them at 375 for 1 hour or until very soft when pierced with a knife.
- Once your sweet potato is cooked, remove from the oven and scoop out the insides as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Toss into that bowl the butter and all seasonings up to the salt. Mash until very smooth and flavors are blended together.
- Fill each tart shell with a generous teaspoon of mixture, allowing it to reach to the top of the tart.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over each tart and place one marshmallow on top.
- Bake on a foil liked sheet pan for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
How simple is that?! For a beautiful appetizer, or even part of the main course if you desire.. It is inexpensive, and quick.. They are so adorable, people will think you slaved over the stove all day!
Just two potatoes makes 30 of these little cuties, what a way to stretch the buck, am I right!?
Besides, it is always a good idea to have a dish out for people to pick on.. Keep the heathens out of the kitchen while you are cooking!! There is always one in the house.. the “turkey picker” the “Oh I’ll taste it for you” the “I can cut that for you” Yea.. cut one taste two, I know your tricks!!
Plus, having them bite sized will ultimately work out in your favor. You grab one and eat it, maybe another.. You will still wind up consuming less of it verses putting a huge spoonful on your plate! Giving the body a chance to digest what you ate between having them in bite sizes, helps you to feel more full much sooner.
(even though diets do not belong on the Holidays, but still)
Anywho.. I will be posting thanksgiving-y dishes all week, so stay tuned!
I hope you have a great rest of your day!