This is one of my son’s favorite meals.. (and mine too, I won’t lie)
It is super simple and quick, only problem is making enough to actually get some on the table to eat! I literally burn my mouth every time eating them right from the pan! I never learn.. However, it is SO WORTH IT! 😉
Casey’s Pretzel Cheez-its Crusted Chicken –
2lbs of chicken tenderloins or breast cut into strips
1 cup of cheez-its
2.5 oz of pretzels
1 cup of whole wheat flour (you can use AP also)
1 tablespoon of water
salt and pepper
- In a food processor, blend the cheez-its and pretzels together until ground up like bread crumbs/panko.
- Make your breading station.. One plate with the flour, a shallow bowl for the egg and water (beat it up until smooth) and one plate for the cheez-its/pretzel mixture. Put a pinch of salt and pepper into each bowl/plate. You want to season every layer!
- Place your chicken into the flour, shake off excess.. Next into the egg, shake off excess.. and finally into the crust mixture, pat it into the chicken to secure. Continue doing this with all of your chicken.
- Heat enough of your oil over medium high heat to cover to the side of the piece of chicken. This is called pan frying. Once it is hot cook chicken in batches. Do not over crowd the pan, you will lower the temperature of the oil and it will not cook evenly.
- Remove from the pan and set chicken on to a rack to cool. This will help to keep all sides crunchy!
With the salty pretzels and the cheesy cheez-its.. this it most definitely a home run dish with a crunch!
I like to mix equal parts sriracha and ketchup for my portion! My son loves just ketchup or BBQ sauce..