People often make enchiladas at home and buy that can or pouch of sauce.. I don’t think they realize how simple it is to make! Today, I made chicken enchiladas.. you can use this recipe with shredded pork or beef as well!
I’m going to give you my recipe for red enchilada sauce, along with how I made mine tonight! It’s so simple as delicious that you may never go out for enchiladas again! 😉
Casey’s Quick and Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas –
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of flour
1/4 cup of chili powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 cups of chicken broth
For the rest of the dish:
10 small corn tortillas or 8 medium-sized
3lbs of chicken breast
8oz of shredded mexican cheese
Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add chicken breast in and let it boil and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and shred the chicken. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat your oil and flour.. stir until browned. Add in the chili powder, garlic powder and cumin.. cook until fragrant. Add your chicken broth in and whisk until smooth and thickened slightly.
- Remove one cup of sauce and reserve on the side. Put your finely shredded chicken into the pot with the remaining sauce and stir together.
- Fill each tortilla with shredded chicken, roll and place in your baking dish. Line them up until you fill your pan.
- Top your dish with the cheese and 1 cup of reserved sauce. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
if you can not find corn tortillas, flour or whole wheat will work also!
Stay tuned for my next blog.. A fun way to use that extra enchilada sauced chicken you may have in an amazing Enchilada Dip!! xo