Nothing says fall like a nice hot bowl of deliciousness for dinner!
In my CSA from Stony Hill Farms I received a butternut squash last week along with some apples and I wanted to pair them together to make a nice fall dish. When I looked into my fridge, I saw that I had chicken thighs.. I thought, that works! 🙂
This Faux Risotto is delicious.. half the work as a classic risotto with all of the flavor and it literally screams FALL! Apples and Squash… Yum!
Casey’s Squash Apple Faux Risotto –
2 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups of thin sliced butternut squash, peeled
2 cups of thin sliced apple, peeled
1/2 cup of white wine
2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1/4 tablespoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 tablespoon of chili powder
1/4 tablespoon of all spice
1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
1 cup of orzo
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
1/4 cup of grated parmesan
- In a large pot, spray with olive oil and brown thighs on both sides over medium high heat.
- Once browned, add in the apples and butternut squash slices. Pour in white wine and cover for two minutes to steam.
- Remove the lid and add in the broth, brown sugar, chili powder, nutmeg, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer, cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, remove the thighs and shred with a fork. If they are not shredding easily, put them back in for another 10 minutes. Once shredded, add back into the pot. The squash and apple should be falling apart now, stir and cook uncovered at a simmer until the liquid reduced by half.
- Add in the orzo, stir to combine. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the orzo is cooked through. Mix in the parsley and parmesan. Serve hot!
For the butternut squash and apples, I like to use a mandolin to get uniform slices so they cook evenly… If you do not own one, don’t fret! Just use a knife and cut them as close in size as you can.
Creamy Gooey Tasty YES!