It is no secret that tacos are one of my favorite creations..
I have made them into sliders ( http://casey2cook.com/2015/01/28/caseys-tasty-taco-sliders-recipe-corner/ ) and now into egg rolls!! Yummy…
These taco egg rolls are perfect for the kiddies, what kid doesn’t love an egg roll!? The round shape is very appealing to their eye.. Not only will kids love them, but adults too!! It’s a fun-for-the-whole-family meal that kids can even help with!! They’ll love the rolling part, while you do all the cooking 🙂
These are also great to bring to a party.. I paired it with an avocado dip but a simple sour cream and / or salsa will do if you prefer!! You can also cut the wrapper and make smaller sized taco egg roll bites, but trust me.. people won’t mind the regular sized ones 😉
Casey’s Tantalizing Taco Eggrolls –
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, ground chicken)
1/4 cup of water
2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
2/3 cup of chunky salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
1 package of egg roll wrappers (I use nasoya brand)
1 cup of lettuce, shredded
Avocado Cream Dip –
1 avocado, ripened
1 /2 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Spray a medium saute pan with cooking spray, heat over medium heat and brown your ground meat in the pan. Using a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the meat and evenly brown. Dispose of any excess liquid.
2. Add the water and taco seasoning to the pan with the meat, allow to simmer until liquid is almost all gone. Add in the salsa and cheese and mix to combine and cook until heated through. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
3. Open your egg roll package and place a sheet in front of you. Place a generous tablespoon of mixture into the middle of the wrapper, add about 1 teaspoon of lettuce over the top of the mixture. Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the meat, fold in the two sides and complete the roll. Using your fingertips place a bit of water at the top of the wrapper to seal it.
4. In a large saute heat up enough canola oil over medium high to reach halfway over the egg roll. Once it is hot, place 3 egg rolls at a time (You do not want to overcrowd the pan, it will lower the temperature of the oil and won’t brown properly) Turn them once and cook the other side. remove from the oil and place on a tray with paper towels to drain the excess oil. Sprinkle with a bit of salt while still hot.
For the Avocado Cream Dip:
1. Place all items into a food processor and puree (or mix them in a large bowl) until smooth. Refrigerate until it is time to use.
I like to use the chunky salsa because it has the tomato and onion in it already (shout out to skipping the step of having to cut all that up and saving the money you would have spent on buying the produce!), plus it adds that classic taco flavor! The dip is great because it adds the sour cream and guacamole aspects.. I like to serve these with some shredded lettuce on the side for garnish and also for people (like me) who want some added lettuce to their rolls.
I hope you try this recipe, and others!
If you do please let me know what you think…
I love your feedback 🙂
& don’t forget to follow me on Social Media!
Instagram/Twitter/Pinterest – @casey2cook