This recipe is awesome.. You can make it as a one pot dish (easy clean up yay!) OR you can use your crock pot!
I know we are all busy.. so being able to throw these ingredients into your slow cooker and go about your day is a super plus. It is also a great recipe for the stove top because the time you spend putting it together is minimal and you just let it cook while you handle other things around the house!!
Casey’s Terrifically Convenient Ground Turkey and Brown Rice –
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup of diced tomatoes
1 cup on corn, canned fresh or frozen all work
1/2 cup of diced yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 packet of Goya sazon, cilantro y achiote
1 cup of brown rice, uncooked
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
For the Stovetop:
1. Coat your large saute pan with cooking spray and heat on medium high. Add in the ground turkey breast, use your spoon or spatula to break apart the meat while it cooks to create an even browning.
2. Once the turkey is browned, add the garlic into the pan and stir until fragrant. Add in the beans, tomatoes, onions and corn, pepper and sazon.. stir to combine. Next, sprinkle the rice over the top of the mixture in the pan.
3. Stir in the chicken stock, mixing everything evenly, use your utensil to flatten the mixture in the saute pan. Bring to a boil, then cover tightly and reduce to a simmer.
4. Cook mixture covered for 35 minutes, turn off and keep covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and “fluff” your meal (allow air to move through it, scoop from the bottom and roll it over the top.) Mix in the parsley and enjoy 🙂
For the Crock Pot:
1. Coat a large saute pan with cooking spray and heat on medium high. Add in the ground turkey breast, use your spoon or spatula to break apart the meat while it cooks to create an even browning. Add in the chopped garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and put the meat into your crock pot.
2. Next, add all other ingredients to the crock pot, except the parsley. Stir to combine and put the lid on your crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours and on love for 6-7 hours.
3. After your cooking time has elapsed, uncover the crock pot and fluff your meal (allow air to move through it, scoop from the bottom and roll it over the top.) Mix in the parsley and enjoy 🙂
Both of these cooking methods leave you with the same amazing meal, and an easy clean up!! What more could you ask for?! OHH and did I mention, this meal is healthy too! Ground turkey breast, brown rice, veggies.. a complete mean in one dish!
I love the colors of this dish.. The turkey and brown rice are very bland looking (but not tasting 😉 ) so the yellow corn, red tomato, black beans, and green parsley all really pop!
If you would prefer to make this dish with ground chicken breast or ground beef, simply swap that out in the ingredient list! I love making dishes like this because I can use this recipe as a guideline and just change out the meat or put a different kind of bean and add a new spice to it and BAM its a whole new dish for a different night of the week! Sometimes learning one recipe or technique can open the door to many other meals.. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this meal! If you try it out please let me know and send me a picture 🙂
Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest : @casey2cook